Thursday, August 5, 2010

Time.


How does anyone ever find the time to do anything great? We're all so busy doing the mundane. I wake up with lofty goals in my mind. I'm prepared to do great things with my day, and then boom! I must call this doctor, I must pay this bill, I must complete this assignment. Is it possible that merely completing the mundane and still finding a smile on your face is a great accomplishment?

What of people like Martin Luther King Jr.? How did he find the time to provide for himself and still do all that he did? Is it possible that we worry too much about things that don't matter? How much of our time in a day is taken up by unnecessary worries? I few days ago I read an article about a man who lived in a tiny little house that was as big as most peoples' bedroom. And he said that he had never been happier. The way that he had learned to conserve space was inspiring. His electric bill was $36 a year! Astounding! My bill is 2 times that in a month! Why can't we all be happy with less like this man? Why must we always wish for more? I'm sick of the clutter and the junk in my life. I don't want more, I just want enough.
But now, what is enough? We spend all our time (which is the most precious commodity) working to get more. But more what? What is truly important? The time we spend with those we love. So we work to get more junk that clutters up our lives and we then must spend our time cleaning up and de-junking our life. It really is a wonder that any of us ever find the time to enjoy ourselves at all. I've decided to be satisfied with less this coming year. I want everything to be organized and minimilistic. Simple. To live simply is to be happy. I want my time to be spent on the important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment