Wednesday, August 11, 2010

People.


It's funny how quickly life passes and yet how long it can seem. This summer has just flown by for me. Life is flying by and it seems like the only way I register the passing of time is by the people that come into my life.

As a child there were my parents, my siblings, my next door neighbors, and of course Carissa. In my preteens there was Molly and Carissa. In high school there was the rediculous string of boys (no boyfriends, just a string of them) and Carissa, Jodi Tory, and various other somewhat forgettable friends. As I progressed into college, again the string of boys, Kylie, Brittany, Delano, Kevi, and of course Carissa. Now at BYU there were my RA peoples, Julia, Bethanie and always my Carissa and my family. This summer there were the office people and the sales reps, and Stacey. I've been so very lucky to have met all these wonderful people. Each one comes into my life, and some eventually leave. I think the ones who stay until one of us "goes the way of all the earth" those are the ones I want with me forever. My family and Carissa.

Amusingly enough, even amongst all the people in my life they can be broken down into classes of importance. Ones who will stay, those who will go. Ones who will stay: friends, family, (hopefully a husband one day). Those who will go include: work people, passing friends, volunteer people, doctors, ex-boyfriends/one timers/etc. Yet, despite the fact that some will be around forever and some will only flash across my "life screen" each one seems to have affected me for life. Those one time boys, each one taught me something. Sometimes the lesson was the same, but I apparently needed to learn it twice. It's strange how often I meet new people, and yet each new person has something else to teach me. Each is so unique and perfect in their own way. I think I'll try to be kinder to the people I meet in passing, because if the people I've passed have affected me negatively or positively then I want all my passing impressions on people to be positive ones. I want them to look back on the fleeting moment they knew me (even if they only knew me as a driver on the road) and feel positive towards me.
Sometimes that may mean that I won't be remembered at all, but that's ok. The people that matter most will remember me. My Grandpa's death taught me that. The people who love you can never forget you, even after you're gone. Somedays I still wake up and hear him and in that moment he hasn't died. In the next moment, it's as if he died all over again. No, the ones I love will never forget me. The momories I lived with them will never die. People are what's important in life, and the memories they help create.

Rest in Peace Ray Bradshaw, you'll live on forever in me and through Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment